Welcome to the best Rome and Amalfi Coast itinerary 8 days. This travel plan is carefully crafted to ensure you make the most of your time, exploring the iconic landmarks of Rome and experiencing the breathtaking beauty of the Amalfi Coast. From ancient ruins to charming coastal towns, get ready for an unforgettable journey filled with history, culture, and natural wonders.
So, are you ready to embark on this incredible 8-day trip? Let’s dive into the details and discover the highlights of this itinerary that will leave you with memories to cherish for a lifetime.
Highlights of the Itinerary
This itinerary takes you on a journey to discover the best things to do in Rome and the Amalfi Coast, offering a perfect blend of art, history, and natural beauty. Prepare to be captivated by the top attractions in Rome and the breathtaking coastal towns of the Amalfi Coast.
Here are the highlights:
- Explore the Vatican Museum and Sistine Chapel: Immerse yourself in the stunning art collections of the Vatican, including the iconic Sistine Chapel.
- Take a guided tour of the Colosseum and Roman Forum: Step back in time and discover the ancient wonders of Rome at these iconic landmarks.
- Visit the ruins of Pompeii: Experience the preserved ruins of this ancient Roman city destroyed by the eruption of Mount Vesuvius.
- Enjoy the beauty of the Amalfi Coast’s coastal towns:
|Stroll through the vibrant streets, relax on the picturesque beach, and indulge in Italian cuisine.
|Admire the stunning Amalfi Cathedral, explore the narrow streets lined with shops and cafes, and take in the breathtaking coastal views.
- Take a day trip to the idyllic island of Capri:
“The island of Capri is a true paradise. Explore the famous Blue Grotto, enjoy the stunning views from the Gardens of Augustus, and savor the local cuisine in the charming town of Anacapri.”
- Dive into adventure with a Vespa tour along the picturesque coastline:
“Feel the wind in your hair as you ride along the scenic Amalfi Coast on a Vespa. Take in the panoramic views, visit charming villages, and experience the thrill of zipping through the coastal roads.”
These highlights offer just a glimpse of the incredible experiences that await you in Rome and the Amalfi Coast. Get ready for a journey filled with history, art, natural beauty, and unforgettable moments.
Embark on an unforgettable 8-day journey with this detailed day-by-day itinerary. From exploring the charming coastal towns of the Amalfi Coast to immersing yourself in the rich history of Rome, this itinerary provides a perfect balance of sightseeing and relaxation.
Day 1: Arrival in Rome
- Arrive at Rome’s Leonardo da Vinci International Airport and transfer to your hotel in the historic center.
- Take a leisurely stroll through the streets of Rome, admiring iconic landmarks like the Trevi Fountain and Spanish Steps.
- Enjoy a delicious Italian dinner at a local trattoria.
Day 2: Rome Sightseeing
- Start your day with a guided tour of the Vatican Museum, home to stunning artworks including the famous Sistine Chapel.
- Explore the ancient ruins of the Roman Forum and the Colosseum, immersing yourself in the history of ancient Rome.
- Indulge in a traditional Roman lunch at a cozy trattoria.
- Discover the Pantheon, a marvel of Roman architecture, and stroll through the vibrant Piazza Navona.
Day 3: Day Trip to Pompeii
- Embark on a scenic journey to the ancient city of Pompeii, buried by the eruption of Mount Vesuvius in 79 AD.
- Explore the remarkably preserved ruins, including the Forum, the amphitheater, and the houses of Pompeii’s wealthy residents.
- Enjoy a panoramic lunch with views of the volcano before heading back to Rome.
Day 4: Transfer to Positano
- Depart from Rome and transfer to the stunning coastal town of Positano on the Amalfi Coast.
- Check into your hotel and take some time to relax on the beach or explore the picturesque streets of Positano.
- Indulge in a delightful seafood dinner at a cliffside restaurant, enjoying panoramic views of the Mediterranean.
Day 5: Capri and Anacapri Day Trip
- Embark on a day trip to the idyllic island of Capri.
- Take a boat ride around the island, marveling at its rugged coastline and hidden caves.
- Visit the charming town of Anacapri, known for its panoramic views and beautiful gardens.
- Enjoy a traditional Caprese lunch and explore the elegant boutiques in Capri Town.
Day 6: Wine Tasting and Cooking Class in Sorrento
- Transfer to the charming town of Sorrento, famous for its lemon groves and beautiful architecture.
- Embark on a wine tasting and vineyard tour, sampling the region’s renowned wines.
- Participate in an afternoon cooking class, learning how to prepare traditional Italian dishes.
- Indulge in a delicious dinner featuring the dishes you prepared.
Day 7: Free Day in Sorrento
- Enjoy a leisurely day in Sorrento, exploring its charming streets and relaxing at a local café.
- Visit the beautiful Villa Comunale, a park with stunning views of the Gulf of Naples.
- Discover the historic center of Sorrento, filled with shops selling local specialties like limoncello and ceramics.
- Savor a leisurely dinner at a traditional trattoria, savoring the flavors of the Amalfi Coast.
Day 8: Departure from Naples
- Transfer to Naples and enjoy a free day to soak in the beauty of the Amalfi Coast one last time.
- Relax on the beach, take a scenic walk along the coast, or explore the narrow streets of Amalfi.
- Transfer to Naples International Airport for your departure, bringing home memories of an incredible journey.
Arrival in Rome and Exploration of the City
Begin your journey in Rome, the capital city of Italy. Arrive at the airport and transfer to your hotel in the historic center.
Spend your first day exploring the city’s iconic sights, such as the Colosseum, Roman Forum, and Catacombs of Priscilla.
Take a stroll through the charming Trastevere neighborhood and enjoy the local cuisine at one of its many trattorias.
The best time to visit Rome and the Amalfi Coast is during the spring and fall seasons when the weather is mild and the tourist crowds are smaller. These seasons offer pleasant temperatures for sightseeing and outdoor activities without the sweltering heat of summer.
Exploring Rome in the spring allows you to witness the city’s vibrant renewal, with blooming flowers and lush greenery. Fall brings a golden hue to the city and offers picturesque views of historic landmarks amidst the changing colors of the trees.
To make the most of your visit, plan your days in Rome wisely and prioritize the attractions that interest you the most. Consider purchasing skip-the-line tickets for popular sites like the Colosseum and Vatican Museum to avoid long queues and maximize your time.
Notable attractions in Rome:
- The Colosseum
- The Roman Forum
- The Vatican City, including the Vatican Museum, Sistine Chapel, and St. Peter’s Basilica
- The Pantheon
- Trevi Fountain
- Spanish Steps
- Villa Borghese
Exploring Rome’s diverse neighborhoods is also a must-do. Each district offers its own unique charm, from the ancient ruins in the Colosseum area to the trendy boutiques and eateries in Trastevere.
Overall, Rome is a city that seamlessly combines history, culture, and culinary delights. Take your time to savor it all as you embark on your Rome and Amalfi Coast adventure.
Exploring the Amalfi Coast
After four days in Rome, it’s time to embark on a journey to the stunning Amalfi Coast. This coastal paradise is known for its natural beauty, charming towns, and crystal-clear waters. Get ready to be captivated by the breathtaking views and immerse yourself in the laid-back coastal atmosphere.
Visit the Vibrant Coastal Villages
Begin your exploration of the Amalfi Coast by visiting the vibrant coastal villages of Positano and Amalfi. These iconic towns embody the charm and beauty of the region. Take a leisurely stroll through their charming streets, lined with colorful houses and bougainvillea-covered balconies. Explore the local shops and boutiques, offering a range of unique handicrafts and locally-made products. Indulge in the delicious coastal cuisine at one of the many picturesque restaurants overlooking the sea. And don’t forget to soak up the sun on the beautiful beaches, where you can relax and unwind.
Experience the Enchanting Island of Capri
No visit to the Amalfi Coast is complete without a day trip to the enchanting island of Capri. Known for its stunning views and luxurious atmosphere, Capri offers a true taste of paradise. Take a boat ride from the mainland and arrive at the island’s marina, where you can explore the charming streets of Capri Town and Anacapri. Visit the famous Blue Grotto, a natural sea cave illuminated with ethereal blue light. Take a chairlift to the top of Mount Solaro for panoramic views of the island. And of course, don’t miss the opportunity to relax on one of Capri’s beautiful beaches, surrounded by the crystal-clear waters of the Mediterranean.
Discover Pompeii and Hike Mount Vesuvius
For history enthusiasts, a visit to the ruins of Pompeii is a must. This ancient city was buried under ash and pumice when Mount Vesuvius erupted in 79 AD, preserving its incredible archaeological remains. Explore the remarkably well-preserved streets, buildings, and artwork of this once-thriving Roman city. After exploring Pompeii, take a short journey to Mount Vesuvius and embark on a hike to the summit. Enjoy breathtaking panoramic views of the surrounding landscape, and learn about the volcano’s fascinating history and geology.
|Charming coastal villages
|Positano and Amalfi
This 8-day itinerary offers the ultimate Rome and Amalfi Coast travel guide, allowing you to experience the best of both worlds. From the rich history and iconic landmarks of Rome to the stunning landscapes and coastal towns of the Amalfi Coast, this trip is a perfect blend of culture, beauty, and relaxation.
During your time in Rome, you’ll have the chance to explore the Vatican, marvel at the Colosseum, and wander through the ancient ruins of the Roman Forum. Immerse yourself in the vibrant atmosphere of the city and indulge in delicious Italian cuisine.
Once you transfer to the Amalfi Coast, you’ll be captivated by the breathtaking scenery and charming coastal towns. Visit the picturesque Positano and Amalfi, relax on beautiful beaches, and take in the panoramic views from the island of Capri. Additionally, don’t miss the opportunity to discover the fascinating ruins of Pompeii and witness the awe-inspiring Mount Vesuvius.
With this Rome and Amalfi Coast itinerary 8 days, you’ll create memories that will last a lifetime. Follow this guide to make the most of your trip and experience the wonders of Italy’s history, culture, and natural beauty.
What is the best time to visit Rome and the Amalfi Coast?
The best time to visit Rome and the Amalfi Coast is during the spring (April to June) and fall (September to October) when the weather is mild, and the tourist crowds are smaller. The summer months of July and August can be hot and crowded, while the winter months of December to February are the least busy but can be cooler and rainy.
What are the must-see attractions in Rome?
Some of the must-see attractions in Rome include the Vatican Museum and Sistine Chapel, the Colosseum, the Roman Forum, St. Peter’s Basilica, the Trevi Fountain, and the Pantheon. These iconic landmarks showcase the rich history and cultural heritage of Rome.
How do I get from Rome to the Amalfi Coast?
There are several transportation options to get from Rome to the Amalfi Coast. You can take a train from Rome to Naples and then continue by bus or taxi to the Amalfi Coast. Alternatively, you can hire a private driver for a more convenient and comfortable journey. If you prefer, there are also guided tours available that include transportation from Rome to the Amalfi Coast.
What are the best day trips from the Amalfi Coast?
Some of the best day trips from the Amalfi Coast include visiting the island of Capri, exploring the ancient ruins of Pompeii, hiking Mount Vesuvius, and taking a boat tour along the coast to discover hidden coves and grottoes.
How many days should I spend in Rome and the Amalfi Coast?
A recommended itinerary for Rome and the Amalfi Coast is 8 days. This allows you to spend 4 days in Rome and 4 days exploring the Amalfi Coast. However, if you have more time, it is recommended to extend your stay as both destinations offer a wealth of attractions and activities to experience.
What are the top things to do in Positano and Amalfi?
In Positano, you can relax on its beautiful beaches, explore the charming streets lined with boutiques and cafes, and take a scenic hike along the Path of the Gods for breathtaking views. In Amalfi, you can visit the stunning Amalfi Cathedral, explore the historic center, and enjoy a leisurely boat ride along the coast.