The small Island of Levanzo (just 200 abitant) is part of the Aegadian Islands with Favignana and Marettimo located in the west part of Sicily in the province of Trapani. You can visit the Island for the day from Trapani or you could spend some time, on the island staying in one of the only two hotels.
Before we dive in on what to do in Levanzo we need to see on how to get to this amazing Island.
How to get to Levanzo
You can get to Levanzo from Trapani by ferry, there are two companies (Liberty Lines Fast Ferries sailing 82 times per week during the summer and Siremar operating 12 times per week) that operate daily services and the journey is about 30 minutes.
Where to Stay in LevanzoBooking.com
What to do in Levanzo
The main attractions in Levanzo are the Grotta del Genovese, Grotta dei Porci (cave of pigs) and relaxing and enjoying the amazing beaches and the crystal clear water, you’ll be amazed on how clear the seawater is just unbelievable.
Grotta del Genovese
This is the main attraction in Levanzo, the cave has drawings of various animals (bull, monkey, deer) and a group of people possibly performing a dance, and the drawings are about 10,000 years old. There are also small paintings to the side with some engravings and back in the cave the first form of prehistoric graffiti.
Grotta dei Porci (cave of pigs)
This is another prehistoric cave not far from Grotta del Genovese. The Grotta dei Porci (about 30 meters deep) also features animal drawings but is less sophisticated and rustic, with the use of less refined technique. There are also other small caves around the Island you can explore if you have the time, Cala Tramontana, Pecore, Punta Sorci and Punta Cappero. You can visit the caves by organized tours that can be arranged at the port in Levanzo.
You can also take a boat tour to explore the area around the island. The boat tour can be the beginning or ending part of your visit to Levanzo. That way, you can see more of the island and enjoy a day on the water and do some snorkeling.
If you want to stick to land, you can hike around the island. Levanzo isn’t very big, so you can hike around the island in a day or so. You can view the lighthouse on the northern part of the island, and you can even walk to the caves to see the drawings.
Before you go hiking, make sure you wear comfortable clothes and walking shoes. Bring some water and a snack to keep yourself energized during your hike.
If you don’t want to deal with hills, you can stick to walking on the main roads. You can walk around the main harbor and enjoy the views, and it can take about an hour.
If you want to get in the water, you can also go scuba diving or snorkeling around the coast. The clear waters make it an excellent place to see some wildlife.
The island is known for its crystal clear waters and beautiful beaches. Here are some of the beaches that you can visit in Levanzo:
- Cala Dogana – This is the most popular beach on the island, and it is located near the main port. The beach has pebbles and crystal clear water. It is a great spot for swimming and snorkeling.
- Cala Fredda – This is a secluded beach that can only be reached by boat or by hiking. The beach is surrounded by cliffs and has clear blue water. It is a great spot for sunbathing and relaxing.
- Cala Minnola – This beach is located on the eastern part of the island and can be reached by boat or by hiking. The beach has a mix of sand and pebbles and crystal clear water. It is a great spot for swimming and snorkeling.
- Faraglioni di Levanzo – This is a group of rocky islets located on the western part of the island. The islets have crystal clear water and are a great spot for snorkeling.
- Cala Tramontana – This is a small beach located on the northern part of the island. The beach has pebbles and crystal clear water. It is a great spot for swimming and snorkeling.
We hope that this article with our simple step by step guide on what to do in Levanzo will help you to get the best out of this wonderful Island.